Friday 9 July 2010

Football, football, oh all this football...

Five weeks of football - a dream for me! But now, only two matches left...

Waking up this morning I just realised I've only got two more sleeps here in Doha before going back to England again. Can't believe that two nights and two games are all that remain of this major adventure. When going out here on June 9th I never imagined time to just fly by as it has done. I guess part of this is due to the long, long shifts we've covered, the chaos and stress that's surrounded us all along and also thanks to all the new people I've met here and learnt a lot from.

As a kid I used to watch football with my dad on TV, speak to my uncle about our local football team, ÖSK, and watch the live games with my friend at the ground. I used to dream about going to watch all these big games around in Europe, and the rest of the world once grown up – but never imagined working behind the scenes of big tournaments, such as the World Cup, meeting all the big names that you only see and hear of on TV.


85 million viewers!

My biggest dream has always been to cover major sports events, but when starting university I could never imagine doing this before not even graduating. But, here I am – covering the World Cup from South Africa, in Qatar for Al Jazeera with 85 million people watching our live coverage from around the Middle East and the northern parts of Africa. Unbelievable.

But with the final approaching we are hoping to be viewed by 100 million people... I can’t even begin to understand how massive an audience that is – seeing I’m from Sweden where the population is only nine million. But it is impressive, how a sport such as football can unite people from all around the world to watch and enjoy with one another.

To be honest, so far we haven’t really seen a cracking World Cup game, but hopefully we will see the best of games on Sunday. That would make my experience here complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment